Friday, February 27, 2009

Stations of the Cross at Xnihilo Gallery

For at least the last two years, I've made a point of seeing the annual Stations of the Cross art show at Xnihilo Gallery, which is part of Taft St. Coffee House and emergent worshiping community, Ecclesia. The opening reception for the 2009 edition was tonight and I went and had a peek.

Each station is done by a different artist, and so immediately you know this is not a body of work really intended to "hang together" in the traditional sense of the stations you might find in a Roman Catholic church. Some are very literal in their interpretation, some are very abstract. Some have religious significance only in the context of the show itself. This is a strength of the show each year, a way of getting the viewer to see divine significance in non-religious subject matter and artistic interpretation to traditional religious subject matter. It also makes the entire enterprise a crap shoot, as invariably one piece will be wildly arresting, demanding attention while next to it is something that is . . . not so much. But maybe this is also the point.

I'm not going to go through piece by piece or even in order of the stations, but I made some notes on about half the pieces. Here's some thoughts and responses. I hope they encourage you to go take a look at the work, too (assuming you're in Houston, of course). (I'll provide links to webpages of the artists where I find them or can verify them.)

Station 2: Jesus Takes Up His Cross by Jack Potts. I start with this one because it is the one that I know least what to do with it. It is a photograph of a young man, short cropped hair, shirtless, wearing what looks like a towel, very much sporting a 21st Century gym body, and he has a cross on his back. He's bowed under it's weight, but the strain in his arms tells us he is lifting it. He is sweaty, but very clean. His head is down, but his eyes are looking at the camera. He is sexy. He could be selling perfume in a fashion magazine. The artist's statement said that he was going for an image of the beauty of Christ and the strength to go willingly to the cross. The model is clearly beautiful and strong, but in the end the image is, to slip into theologese, a bit to triumphalist for my christology. Furthermore, while artists have pushed the eroticism around the naked Jesus on the cross image for centuries, I've never been comfortable with that trip. Torturous death isn't sexy to me. But that's my thing. Insofar as art is made to illicit a response, I suppose this is a success. I'm just not sure it's a response the artist would appreciate. Truly, the image belongs in an issue of The Wittenburg Door with a tagline like: Golgotha Fragrance for Men.

That's as negative as this gets, folks. And I don't consider the above negative. Just an honest response.

Station 1: Jesus is Condemned to Die by Delores Comstock. To back up one station, this is a piece that demands some time. It is a large giclee print on canvass, manipulated photos and scribbles with many layers to look it. The predominent color is red and we clearly see a head crowned with thorns and wrists in shackles, but it's the smaller details that require attention. Very arresting.

Station 5: Simon Helps Jesus Carry the Cross by Wayne Leal & Allison Smythe. This is a simple and elegant piece. The media listed on the wall are "earth, sand, wood and acrylic washes." The background is the sand, that grainy sandbox color---something comforting about it, I think. On top of that is a layer of wood chips, slightly charred. It is in the same shape as the sand, but much smaller, making the sand something of a broad border. (I should say the whole shape is something like a freehanded doodle of South America.) Across the top of the whole piece is a plank of wood. It's a quiet piece. Powerful in it's silence. Reminds me of some Asian altar pieces I've seen. I could easily see this as a focal point for a prayer space.

Station 8: Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem by Billy Hollis. This piece is the one that is probably the very least religious in the whole room, and as such, captures the attention. It is a very large, graphite on paper drawing of a single, battered, leaf. The only hint of religion is where light (sun, presumably) is shining through a tear in it. The scripture reference is Luke 23:27-31, where Jesus asks the women of Jerusalem not to weep, and says if this is what happens when the wood is green what will happen when it is dry? In other words, Hollis says, this is bad, but it'll get worse than you imagine. This leaf (which, by the way, I thought was a photo at first), speaks to our fragile life, to the fragile moment between Jesus and some weeping women in a subtle way.

Station 11: Jesus is Nailed to the Cross by Jessica Adams. This piece, to me, was the one that I found absolutely brilliant. It is a shrouded and bound human torso and head, full of darts. The darts are labeled with words like "sin," "guilt," "burden," and the Seven Deadly Sins---the only piece of this project I could have skipped (a bit heavy-handed, if you ask me). The darts were all over the head and shoulders of the figure and the white linen shroud was soaked in red. Reading the artist statement and attendant photos, you discover the piece was a collaborative effort at Adams' High School for Peforming and Visual Arts class. Under the shroud were what looked like Ziploc bags full of red paint. After shrouding the figure, she handed out darts to the class, who started out with a rather lighthearted approach, even trading off "sins" like baseball cards. But once they got to the business of throwing the darts and as the figure "bled" into the linen, she said the room became somber and a heavy discussion followed. Granted, this piece falls under the category of postmodern art where the documentation of the performance of the artmaking is what's most arresting about the piece, but it's powerful all the same. When I go back to the show, this is the piece I'm likely to look at more closely again.

And I will return to the show. As is the annual custom, there remains one more piece, shrouded for now, that will be unveiled at Easter, to complete the journey of Christ from condemnation to resurrection. But for now, I hope the above will give you some idea of what you might find at this show---and be encouraged to check it out yourself. I hope the Xnihilo site will eventually put up a few images from the show, as my descriptions no doubt fail to convey what I saw.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger St. Izzy said...

You know, neo, you could post some pictures. It's not hard to do, and so long as their only of computer screen resolution, there's no reason the artists should object to the publicity.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Neil Ellis Orts said...

Well, St. Izzy, I would have, except I don't have any and I couldn't find any anywhere. I tried to give the artists' websites where I found 'em, but even there, I didn't see pictures of the pieces I saw. Even the Xnhilo site didn't have any. So unless I go back and take pictures, this is all I have to offer. Sorry. If any of the artists find this blog and send me photos of their work, I'll be glad to post them.

9:06 PM  
Blogger harold said...

hi neil
thanks for your introspections / observations / translations for each of the stations. thanks for your interpretation of our piece, #5
always a treat to hear the next voice, speak back
be well

10:55 PM  
Blogger harold said...

st Izzy

i beg to differ, artists HATE recognition, affirmation, observation, praise, galleries, daylight, sunlight, long flights and etc....

no, no, no, please, no photos, no anything.....

10:57 PM  
Blogger Neil Ellis Orts said...

It's lovely work, "Harold." I hope some people are following the link to your home page. (More wonderment to be seen there, folks!)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Jessica Adams said...

Thank you for your criticism on station 11, especially for the bit about the heavy handedness, I'm working on subtlety. I do have something of a website, but no pictures of the dart piece are up...yet.
http://expatartsnetwork.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=1zin0b7why4c3

8:21 PM  
Blogger harold said...

ben huggins got it, he is wonderful, we call him ben

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Neil, are you planning to go again this year? I'm on the board for the gallery there and a participating artist this year, I'll see what I can do to help you get some photos if you'd like to post about it again this year.

I appreciated your write up about last years' show. This year the show will feature photography as the primary medium as it is a part of fotofest as well.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Obviously very late but here are images from the 2009 show. http://www.chron.com/channel/houstonbelief/photogallery/Stations_of_the_Cross.html#16115330

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home