Sunday, October 26, 2008

Exquisite Corpses for 10/25

We had another writing marathon yesterday, and we again played a few rounds of Exquisite Corpse, the surrealist game. Below are some of the results.

The hairy worm danced a red water tower.

A fuzzy mermaid invigorates a greenish book.

A spunky bottle eats a creepy hair.

A large shoe burped a red tiger.

I decided to mix it up a bit and see what would happen if we tried to make tongue twisters by making each word start with the same letter. I chose the letter "P" because it's just a funny letter. I think this has even been studied and comedians use P words because they sound funnier (admit it---Peoria sounds funnier than Houston). Would we tap into the collective unconscious and choose the same words or would we prove to be more individual? Read on . . .

The powerful puppy pulls the pudgy pile. (There was a collective "ew" after that one was read.)

A prickly pants pinches a poor puzzle piece.

A pretty penguin pokes a plump plot.

A pooped popinjay performed a perfect person.

A pretty pioneer pushes a pompous pot.

A pitiful prisoner pranced the precious piano. (I need to find a way to better explain transitive verbs . . . )

Over all, I think it's pretty amazing that only "pretty" was used twice. And, in retrospect, I'm sort of surprised there were no purples or pinks. So much for the collective unconscious.

Then Margo asked if we could use Halloween words. I sort of puzzled over it a moment then shrugged my shoulders and said, okay, make this round all Halloweeny.

An orange witch sickened a bloody goblin.

The frightening scarecrow tricked the ugly zombie.

A gruesome goblin scared the sparkling elm street. (I'd never before thought of "sparkling" as a Halloween sort of word, but it works here nicely, I think.)

A spooky brew boils the petrified ghost.

A harrowing black cat terrified a pumpkin-flavored witch.

A scary pumpkin scares a blood-deprived cadaver. (When I read this, I was sorry that we didn't get one that was something like "a scary pumpkin scares a scary cadaver." Scary, huh?)

Those are the corpses for this Writing Marathon. We'll do another New Year's Marathon in January. January 17, to be exact. Mark yer calenders now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home