Thursday, July 17, 2008

Exquisite Corpses

Last weekend, about a half dozen writers gathered together for another Writing Marathon at the Montrose Library branch, here in Houston, and as near as I can tell, a good time was had by all.

One of the things we do between writing prompts is we play a round of Exquisite Corpse. If you're not familiar with this Surrealist game, go here to read more. (See? I learned a new skill. Thanks again, Didi!)

I thought I'd share a few of the surreal sentences we created as we played our rounds.

A pretty mermaid stroked the awful tree.

The gracious watchman carries a big boat.

The crumpling bagpipe writes a colored boat.

An extraordinary chair dreamed of the hot situation.

A bearded vision receives a strong sky. (I like the idea of receiving a strong sky. And I am bearded. Whether or not I'm a vision is highly subjective.)

The frivolous juniper tree whips a timeless fish.

The extraordinary woman guzzles a slippery bottle. (Perhaps to latter sit in an extraordinary chair and fulfill dreams of a hot situation?)

The enchanted bartender crashed into the blazing peanut.

The playful grasshopper recognizes the musical giraffe. (I want this to be from an African fairy tale.)

The impertinent lion attacked an extraordinary fairy. (I may ban the adjective "extraordinary" next time.)

The angry orangutan smashed the sneaky gypsy. (Edited for spelling--which doesn't matter in the game. Also, this one makes me think of Poe's "Murders in Rue Morgue" taking place in eastern Europe.)

The discombobulated zoo plays an awesome game.

And those are just the ones that make sense!

Maybe none of them have the same ring as "The exquisite corpse drinks the new wine," but there are a few images in there that animates my imagination. I hope they do the same for you.

If you're in the Houston area, I'll just go ahead and say mark your calendar for the next Writing Marathon: October 25.

In the meantime---Check out Necropolis by Jill Alexander Essbaum. It's available on all the major bookselling sites and available for order through your local bookstore. You'll be glad you did!

1 Comments:

Blogger becky said...

fun, Neil! we were actually talking about you yesterday, when i went to lunch with Pam and Laura and Hugh, who's new to the writers' groups here. we may do a workshop without you this fall. thanks for the inspiration! :)

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home