Tuesday, May 30, 2006

time tables and Toth

Not much to say today. Taking half a day to make corrections on a story of my own so I can get it in the mail this afternoon to make a Friday deadline. I generally don't talk about when I send out stories or to where because the odds are so overwhelmingly against all of us when we send out our writings that it's less discouraging if my rejection letters are my dirty little secret.

But those of use with this particular dementia send out stories anyway. And every once in a while, we get an acceptance letter--just to keep the dementia fed.

And after I get back from the post office, I have to buckle down and do a LOT of work on Able to... so I can get that book to the post office . . . Monday-ish. I had plans for Saturday. We'll see.

~~~~~~~~~

Alex Toth died last weekend. He was one of those legendary cartoonists that no one outside of comics knows. He was a masterful draftsman, brilliantly subtle in his craft. Some of his more famous comic book work was for Zorro, decades ago (and a good portion of that work is available in a book collection), but he worked for all the major comics companies and quite a few of the minor ones, too. He also worked for Hanna-Barbera in the '60s, being the designer behind such classic cartoons as Space Ghost (a personal favorite) and Johnny Quest. People of my age who remember the original SuperFriends have him to thank for the design of the first animated Wonder Woman and of course Wendy, Marvin, and Wonder Dog. Over the years I've seen published sketches and doodles from the man and he was just way too talented for most of the projects he worked on.

He died at his drawing table.

Check out the gallery at http://tothfans.com/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I always enjoy your writing and your humor.

May your vow be broken.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Neil Ellis Orts said...

hey, Dave! Thanks for stopping by.

as for the vow, well, accidents happen and sometimes you just have to live with them. for a while, anyway.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home