Sunday, May 21, 2006

Blurb

"These stories work on every level, as pieces of literature and as fables about power, and they run the gamut from magic realism to Twain-ian tall tales. A strong collection, worthy of reading and re-reading."
-Greg Garrett, author of Holy Superheroes, Free Bird, and Crossing Myself (among other things)

This is a little blurb that I'll get to use on the back of Able to... when it is published this summer. Pretty jazzed about that. Thanks to Greg for taking the time to read the manuscript version of the book.

I'm also pretty jazzed about the release party I'm planning for the book. July 14th, at Square Moon Gallery in the Heights. Houston people, come out out! There'll be readings from not only Able to... authors but other Houston writers. Sort of a mini-lit-fest as well as a party for the release of the book. I'll be writing more about that as we go, too.

In unrelated news, I'm currently reading a graphic novel called Deogratias by a writer/artist named Stassen. It's one of the first releases by a new graphic novel publisher called First Second. It is definitely not a "comic" book, taking place as it does in Rwanda during the genocide. I only got about halfway through it before I had to put it down, but it's compelling. I'll let you know what I think when I finish it. Very nice artwork and the production values of First Second are tops. I'll have to check out some of their other books. This looks like one of those really cool graphic novel publishers who are doing really good, important work in the graphic novel format--and so is probably going to have a hard time finding its audience. Check out their website: www.firstsecondbooks.net and see if their isn't something there that interests you. I'd like to see another publisher of more literary (for lack of a better term) graphic novels succeed.

That's all for now. I need to get back to work on Able to...

-Neil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home