Friday, June 12, 2009

Got Met

Just got in a bit ago from the Summer Sampler of Dance with the Houston Metropolitan Dance Company. It was at Houston's outdoor venue, the Miller Outdoor Theater and the hillside was loaded with people. Really impressive turnout! Events at Miller are free, but that doesn't always mean people take advantage of it. (I know I don't, to my shame!)

Just some quick impressions. jhon stronks, one of the better choreographers in Houston, gave a nice piece in the first act. It looked highly improvisational, and it wouldn't surprise me, knowing jhon. The soundtrack he put together was quite fun. He used some poems from mutual friend, Margo Toombs, mixed in with the music and other sounds. I was sitting next to Margo and it was fun watching her react to her own voice, especially when it turned out jhon used a piece she wasn't expecting. Even more fun was when some kids near us started to repeat one repeated line of Margo's: Everyone has a cape. I leaned over and told Margo, "Listen, you're being quoted!"

In the second act, the youth/student company, Houston Met Too, tore up the stage with some extraordinary dancing, every bit as good as the parent company. Very, very impressive.

The piece I went to see, really, was the piece I blogged about last time, Salim Gauwloos' Elevated. Salim is the choreographer I interviewed for OutSmart this month (scroll down to last entry for more info). I'm happy to report that it's a lovely piece. The middle section, with two pairs of dancers, is especially moving and tender. (After the show, I'd mentioned how tender this section was, and Margo said "and bendy!" I said, "Yes, tender and bendy!" She said, "You'll have to use that in your review." I said, "I try not to use too many technical terms in my review.")

I'd write more, but it's late and I need to cut this short. Just wanted to give some very brief, quick impressions (and expose myself and my friends for how silly we are). All in all, a fine night on the hillside.

3 Comments:

Blogger Siren said...

I was going to go, but it was too HOT to sit outside. I did see Jhon's whole, awesome, eve at Big Range last Wednesday.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Neil Ellis Orts said...

Oh, you should have come out. It was very pleasant on the hill. I heard some people say that under the roof, it got a little stuffy, but on the hillside, there was a wonderful evening breeze and very comfortable!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Miller is a treasure and let's face it people, it's June and summer is officially here. Houston Met was thrilled with the turnout Friday night. And guess what? They only had half the electricity working at Miller. Just goes to show you, it's the dance the counts. Susan Schmaeling, APR, pr consultant for Houston Met

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home