Wednesday, October 18, 2006

better vocabulary through pop songs

Today I heard a song from my high school senior year and I was reminded that this song had an educational aspect for me. The lyrics in question are:

"I wanna tell her that I love her, but the point is probably moot."

Yes, Rick Springfield introduced the word "moot" to my vocabulary. I distinctly remember seeing that word on the lyrics sheet and asking a girl from the class before me what that meant.

(Because dictionaries aren't cool. Or something.)

Man, that was a catchy song. It's been in my head all afternoon. C'mon, sing along with me:

"you know I wish that I had Jesse's girl . . . "

3 Comments:

Blogger Darrell Grizzle said...

I remember learning the word "plasticine" from a Beatles song. In fact, I think maybe they made up the word themselves, like Steve Miller made up "the pompatous of love"...

I hope these references aren't too "old" for a youngster like you!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Neil Ellis Orts said...

Darrell, I don't think you're much older than me. If you're older than me at all. If you are, you wear it well!
-neo

7:40 PM  
Blogger The Nomad said...

neo:

i, too, have found that i've learned new words from song...of course, i can't think of any right now...but i do believe that mark heard, bill mallonee, and carrie newcomer, have all introduced me to a new word through their music...

a-yow! a-yow!...

-ramona anne

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home